Media Release: New Federal Health Accord Will Benefit BC’s Seniors
Deal Will Support Investments in Home and Community Care Throughout the Province
Feb 17, 2017 (Burnaby, B.C): “The signing of a health accord is great news for any senior living in a long-term care setting, or receiving home care in BC,” says Daniel Fontaine, CEO for the BC Care Providers Association (BCCPA). “We applaud both the Federal and Provincial Governments for striking a deal that will result in significant new investments in BC’s continuing care sector.”
“This health care deal will translate into more direct care hours and home care visits across the province,” added Fontaine. “Our hope is it will also result in reducing the number of seniors forced to unnecessarily stay in hospitals when they’re ready to receive care back in the community.”
Fontaine met with Minister Jane Philpott in Ottawa earlier this month to encourage both parties to sign an Accord. The Federal government has committed to investing $1.4 billion over the next ten years, with $785.7 million directed to address the needs of our rapidly ageing population.
“We also remain hopeful that the Province of BC will make seniors care a priority in its upcoming budget next week,” says Fontaine. “The time for action is now and a joint commitment by both Victoria and Ottawa will go a long way in helping to address the needs of our elderly population and the families that support them.
In January, the BCCPA released Strengthening Seniors Care: A Made-in-BC Roadmap which included 30 recommendations to government. The four-pillar plan called for investments of up to $337 million per year over the next five years.
BCCPA CEO Daniel Fontaine will be responding to media requests in reaction to today’s announcement.
VP, Communications and Stakeholder Relations