BCCPA Held Fire Sprinkler Safety Meeting Earlier This Year
The Quebec government has called an inquiry into the fire that killed 32 people at a seniors’ residence last January.
Quebec’s Public Security Minister Lise Theriault indicated that the aim of the inquiry is to answer two basic questions, “Firstly, how did this tragedy happen and, secondly, what do we need to do to prevent anything similar ever happening again.”
Immediately following the tragic fire in L’Isle-Verte, Quebec earlier this year, the BC Care Providers Association called a meeting of stakeholders to address the issue of fire safety in BC care homes. Representatives from the Health Authorities, Ministry of Health, UBCM, fire departments, BCSLA, DHA, sprinkler industry and various fire departments were in attendance.
In May, we were pleased to report that the inspection of all residential care facilities with partial or no sprinklers was complete. The secondary phase to inspect all Assisted Living facilities with partial or no sprinklers remains in progress.
To date, no urgent issues have been identified. The Ministry of Health has received preliminary results of the inspections and is currently working to evaluate the results in greater detail and develop plans to address any issues. For more information click here.
For more information about the Quebec inquiry read below, or click here.
Quebec calls inquiry into seniors’ home fire
Public Security Minister Lise Theriault said Tuesday it will be up to coroner Cyrille Delage to determine whether part or all of the hearings should be public.
“The aim of the inquiry is to answer two basic questions: firstly, how did this tragedy happen and, secondly, what do we need to do to prevent anything similar ever happening again,” Theriault said.
“The coroner’s inquiry will determine the cause of death of each of the 32 victims and the origin and likely causes of the fire.”
Theriault said Delage’s findings will help guide the government as it moves to limit the risks of such a tragedy ever happening again.
She did not give any timeline for his report to be submitted.
The owner of the seniors’ home called for a public inquiry two weeks ago but Theriault said that had nothing to do with her announcement.
Roch Bernier said people have a right to know the real story behind the Jan. 23 blaze at the Residence du Havre in L’Isle-Verte, in eastern Quebec.
Bernier is part of a $3.8-million lawsuit against the town of L’Isle-Verte. The suit alleges the community failed to implement emergency plans which might have lowered the death toll.
An insurance company is also involved in the lawsuit and is seeking $2.3 million of the $3.8 million.
Investigations into the tragedy are already being carried out by Quebec provincial police and the fire commissioner.